Friday 8 November 2013

I am not an economist

I have introduced my research project on this blog as one that considers the potential economic displacement of capital by DIY online communities.  In other words, do DIY online communities (i.e. around gardening, brewing, bike repair) significantly impact their members' use of (and need for) money; do DIY-ers spend less of their income and if not, where is it redirected?  What is the potential of online communities to challenge the status quo of consumerism?  And is the online space more (or less) fertile ground for DIY communities to organize their activities (relative to traditional, offline spaces)?

In considering my project after some time, I still think it is a worthwhile research question but I am concerned that the scope encompasses economy/spending too much; I do not have a background in economics and I would not be able to use that discipline's measuring tools in this question.  Ideally, this perhaps could be a joint research project with a scholar in economics; whereas they have the financial expertise, I could bring a unique view on the online space.  Without that outside perspective, however, I think I will need to frame my question slightly differently to be able to address it and measure it with the tools at my disposal.  I believe this is possible, but it will require an adjustment.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jess,

    It's interesting that you mention your apprehension of tackling economics within the context of your research project, because I can definitely relate to your concerns! My research topic also deals with DIY activities (but within the context of libraries), and inevitably economics often comes up as a factor in the discussion of this area of study (including topics surrounding the sharing economy, and whether or not it truly escapes capitalism, or is simply a system within it). While it is difficult to be able to adequately understand other fields within the short span of this semester, if you were to choose to pursue this topic in the future, I think it's definitely possible that with research and study, you could incorporate discussions of economics into your research. I think sometimes it's not as important to be the ultimate expert in a field, but to study it within your abilities and admit to your shortcomings in the area of discipline in which you are least familiar. Otherwise, scholars would never engage in interdisciplinary studies and research, which would be a bit boring. So, in effect, your proposed project sounds relevant and timely, and I can very much relate to the concerns you are expressing!

    ReplyDelete